Wednesday, July 08, 2009

it's not the size of the box...

OK, I think this post is about other stuff, but I'm trying to be jokey here... and hence, jokes about box size. Please, add in your own joke to that subject header..I can't even think of one! Willow (I think it was Willow?) asked about our box sizes. The smallest boxes I have packed have been, roughly the size of a canning jar box from the grocery store. The kind with a dozen 8 oz jars--this is a big shoe box size. There are a very few of those, and they are usually packed in larger boxes, so don't count. The largest box size is called a "Wardrobe" box, and I packed cushions, dog beds, pillows, and a king size duvet into one of those. Most of the book boxes are liquor boxes, from our kind local liquor stores. Bowling Green is a "wet" city in a largely "dry" region...loads of liquor stores, all with extra boxes here in town, and people in the rural areas around just shop here for their alcohol, which they can't buy at home.

It's my basic rule that one should never pay for a cardboard box unless desperate. The professor has bought a few filing boxes for other moves through the years. Those uniform boxes seem to organize his moves. I reuse them as office storage until they absolutely die. Some of these are on their 2nd or 3rd move...and now, to a new country! (way more than you wanted to know about boxes, I bet. Who knew that these boxes would travel so far from their first purpose!?)

I've been worried about whether we'll be ready when the moving folks arrive. The packers come tomorrow to pack up the breakables, and the truck comes on Friday. (At least, I hope so, they haven't called to confirm yet...) The professor was packing and cleaning up his lab and saying goodbye to people at the university until yesterday. Today was his first weekday, packing at home. This has caused me great concern, as I was all on my own, but mostly, I just try not to think about it, and pack more boxes... I had 3 done by 10 AM this morning. Oh, and we're up to something in the range of 327 or something, so all estimates may be too low in our guessing game... Oops. I need to wrap this up and go pack up the Cusinart. I've got stuff to do...(but I need rest breaks, too, right?)

When I couldn't sleep last night, I finished the spinning "task" I'd set for myself. Then I closed up this box. I had a great feeling of accomplishment there. Look at all those neat little balls of singles, ready to be plied! Whew. Then I packed up the last spinning wheel...only spindles and a little wool and small knitting projects are travelling with me.

Sally the dog continues to be pretty anxious...very high strung. It's hard to blame her. The professor thinks it will all be just fine. After all, he seemed to infer, when is your desk ever this clean otherwise? (he's got a point.)

Harry's laidback personality continues to amaze me. He's a little more clingy than usual, but nothing interrupts his serious naps. The dog is a napping machine. I am jealous.

This morning I made our last meal here...tuna pasta salad with basil, parsley, garlic greens, kalamata olives, carrots, collards, and tomatoes. It tastes pretty good, which is a plus, considering we're likely to eat it for both lunch and dinner! Now the pots go into boxes, too. Oh--there's also still one last piece of pie...it's got my name on it.

Thanks (again) for all your good wishes, cheerful comments, and support. It's been an oasis of friendly comfort, the blog posting/reading of comments, during this chaotic period. I haven't gotten to write everybody back --maybe won't be able to, this time, but I really appreciate your kindness.

Now, back to packing...

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

My moving boxes went into the attic after the move, over my husband's strenuous objections. Ironically, rather than save them for the next move, they got flattened out and used to cover and kill the grass when I redesigned my front yard. Guess I'll just have to scrounge some more!

All the best of luck getting it all done, and calming thoughts for Sally.

July 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I hope everything goes well with the move! Where about in Winnipeg are you moving to?

July 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I think Seinfeld did a whole episode on boxes...you fit right in! I, myself, never saw a box I didn't like. I was forever dragging home boxes from the hospital...you never know when you're going to need a good box just the right size. I brought them in, Jim took them out. He's not a box person!

You answered my unasked question...where are they getting all those boxes? I've raided liquor stores, too, but the hospital has tons of them. As soon as word gets out someone's moving, the store room stacks the best ones off to the side for pickup.

On another note, I thought of you both yesterday. We went segway riding on an estate about 60 mi from here. On the way, we passed a sheep farm. Hmmmm....wonder what they do with their fleece after they've sheered the sheep? Then, while riding through a field, there were TONS of butterflies. I could tell them apart...the orange ones from the purple ones from the yellow ones...but I thought the professor could be even more specific than that!

Good luck over the next couple days. I'll be watching for your first Canadian post.

Pgh Cathy

July 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Best wishes for a smooth move!!

July 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope everything goes well. Seems like the time has just flown by, but it probably didn't seem like it while you were packing. Good luck on your move!

Jame

July 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice to think of singles all ready for you to ply in your new home! Sort of like sourdough starter, yeasting away and ready to make bread in a new location.

July 9, 2009 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Looking forward to reading your first canadian post! very best wishes with your move.

July 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

We seem to always give our boxes away to other people moving, so we have to get new boxes every time we move. Such a pain!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as the truck arrives. See you on the other side! Almost there...

July 10, 2009 at 12:14 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi - we haven't spoken before, but I have followed you from the very beginning of your blog upto date.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you. I will spin a few yards this eveining for you.

Angie P (UK)

July 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home