Friday, May 20, 2011

Things to celebrate

1. I've made it to 37 weeks of pregnancy--full term with twins! Now I am just waiting for them to decide to arrive naturally, which I don't mind doing at all. I figure the discomforts I know are easier than the unknown ones to come... The good news is that when they arrive, they should hopefully be fully developed. The bad news is that the doctor can't imagine why anyone would willingly hang around waiting, and wants me to be induced. I'm holding out for now. The pressure to have a medicalized birth when carrying twins seems to be pretty big. That's ok though, I'm pretty big now too--I'm carrying around roughly 50 lbs of twins here. I'm hoping I can take it.

2. I've finally finished the red sweater! I started this back in September and described all my yarn choices there. This is one of those "Joanne designs" that will be unlikely to be repeated. I wrote down all my choices, but this sweater took a long long time to do. The mohair boucle on the bottom raced by, but the dk weight yarns for the upper body and the arms took long time due to my swollen hands. Even sewing in the sleeves took me way too long. I designed it to be flattering with a big belly...but I think I misjudged how big a belly I would produce. For now, I think it looks great on this very skinny clothes hanger!

The pin is a special thing on its own. It was a gift from my nephew Nate's mom. She worried it would be a bit too gaudy for me--I tend to wear plain things--but I've been eyeing it for months because I thought it would work perfectly for this kind of sweater. Here is a link to the artist who makes these. They are truly masterpieces of felt. Very quirky and interesting things...

3. We had a lovely visit earlier this week with the professor's brother and sister-in-law. They came to Winnipeg and soaked up our sunny spring weather and we enjoyed their company enormously. They went to see things with the professor, saw Assiniboine Park and enjoyed lots of good food and gelato. They were also very patient with me when I disappeared to take naps all the time. It's hard working shlepping around twins and I need lots of rests.

4. It's "May Long" this weekend-a three day weekend! The professor says things have emptied out at the university and overall, it is relatively quiet in town. I am hoping that means we'll have a lot of good quality time this weekend to rest and enjoy each others' company. Either that, or it means we'll be hanging out at the hospital. Just have to see what happens...

That's the news from here.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Freyalyn said...

Hang on in there - you're nearly there and have beaten the odds already. Natural is nearly always better, with all the medical stuff standing by in case you need it. Hope everyone's looking after you beautifully.

May 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Congratulations on making it to full term..and hang in there...too bad you can't take a walk on the beach at high tide, or ride down a bumpy road...(that usually does the trick according to my great grandmother..)

Thinking good thoughts from here and waiting patiently, fingers crossed that they come naturally for you!

PS the word verification is bambino! HA!

May 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Congratulations on hitting 37 weeks! That's the point at which my grandson was born--and I'm with you, longer is better if you can.

May 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

keeping you in my thoughts. :)

May 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger AdrieneJ said...

You're almost there! I know if it was me, I would be really pressured by those doctors. Good for you for standing up for how well you know yourself!

That pin is a beauty! I'm off to have a look at that artist's site!

May 21, 2011 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

All the best for the remainder of the pregnancy. What a wonderful gift to have made it to 37 weeks. Glad you are holding out for nature to nudge things along. We will be thinking of you all.

May 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, sticking to your guns for as natural a birth as you can have. I'll say a prayer for you and the wee ones to have a safe and beautiful birth. I am so excited for you!

May 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

Super news about waiting until the kids are ready on their own, and that they're taking their time (although I know it's uncomfortable). Imagine how light you'll feel (at least eventually) when they're separate beings and you have your body back! (Sort of.)

Sending you many good thoughts for the last of the waiting. My daughter was 2.5 weeks late in arriving (I doubt that the twins will want to keep going that long, and . . . um . . . my daughter still operates in her own time zone, so I think it's personality).

May 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger Jen Hagan said...

Thank goodness I finally checked in on you and it sounds like I did just in time. Probably not much longer, dear! Bravo for putting the doctors off. My oldest daughter had a time with that when having her twins and finally had to give in to them. I hope it works out that you won't have to. Listen to your body and the little bodies residing in it. :-)

May 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home