Wednesday, April 06, 2016

The Cuddle Coat--a new release!

It's been snowing again.  One of my boys has another (insert expletive here) head cold.  Both boys have been moaning about when summer will get here... and the answer is?  Not yet.

Long ago, I designed the Cuddle Coat as a Knit Picks exclusive.  Eventually, the pattern copyright returned to me, and I put it up on Ravelry, but gosh darn it, it had world's worst pictures.  It never improved, either.  I wore out TWO cuddle coats (they are seriously, well, cuddly) but could never snap the perfect shot that showed off the sweater.  However, if you look over to my profile shot on this blog?  I'm wearing a Cuddle Coat!

So, I've just revised and re-released the pattern.  I've added metric measurements, I've updated yarn selections, the whole 9 yards (and equivalent number of meters.)  Also, I've left it at the old price, which means it is really permanently on sale...It's easy, it's a fast knit, and it's seriously cozy.  That said, last week, I wore this with a skirt to a dress up occasion, too, so it's versatile.  Did I say warm?  It's warm. So, here it is, re-introducing...the Cuddle Coat.  

Everything else here is still in a serious jumble, but I've tidied up this one pattern AND submitted my Canadian taxes ahead of the deadline, so you know, things are good, right?

PS: Dear Readers, I'm so hoping that one of you buys a Cuddle Coat pattern, knits it up and takes a gorgeous photo...because this is my third try...and I'm still not showing you how danged comfortable it is!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Ruit Farm North said...

Love the coat!

April 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Nina! It sure is cozy. :)

April 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I love the coat too! One question, since I'm on the edge size-wise. How much ease do you recommend, or do the coats have in the modeled photos on Ravelry? Is the coat oversized in places like the shoulders and arms, so I should knit a size that matches my bust measurement, or should I go for more positive ease? I like how comfy it looks, and would like it to be full and roomy without looking like I'm swimming in it. Limited sweater experience here, as in the only sweater I ever attempted (for my then-ten year old), is still in pieces because I realized it would have fit a line-backer, not a 5th grader :) Trying to avoid that mistake again.

April 13, 2016 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hi Robyn,
This is a great question. I'd aim for something like 4" positive ease when choosing a size for the Cuddle Coat. For instance, I'm probably something like a 38-40" bust measurement if I am looking for "no ease" in a sweater. (I mention a range due to what clothes and undergarments I am wearing, some people are very specific there but for me personally, it varies based on the day and the weather. :) So, I make myself a 44" Cuddle Coat.

I'd avoid a much bigger size, because the bulky weight yarn/heft of the sweater would just overwhelm the wearer if it were much bigger.

One of the photos of the Cuddle Coat is perhaps 10 years old and modelled on a short haired woman who has it all buttoned up. I am no expert but I'd guess that was a 36" sweater on a 34-36" bust. I believe that one has significantly less ease, and I think it looks too tight on her. (but that's me!) In the ideal world, you do not want people to think you are having a hard time breathing or something!

One reason people give for "no ease" is to show off their shape...and I can say with certainty that I did not design the Cuddle Coat is not meant to be shapely in that way...so go for comfortable, I say!

I hope this is helpful? You can also always pm or email me if this isn't enough info...
All the best,
Joanne

April 13, 2016 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Oops! I meant to say...I can say with certainty that I did not design the Cuddle Coat to be shapely in that way!

April 13, 2016 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Thank you Joanne! That information is very helpful. The difference in ease shown in the project photos was confusing, so I'm glad I asked. I'm interested in the cozy, roomy (but not too roomy) look, so I think I know exactly what size I'd want to knit.

I'm sorry it's taken me a few days to respond-- I've had very limited computer time lately.

Happy Knitting!
Robyn

April 18, 2016 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Robyn, I'm glad this was the info you needed! No worries about limited computer time...you are not alone there... :) Joanne

April 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Cute coat!

April 18, 2016 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Alison!

April 18, 2016 at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home