Monday, April 16, 2007

We're Hokies* today

Not all blog posts are happy. Early this AM, we heard that the professor's aunt and uncle's home in New Jersey was completely flooded. They were evacuated by boat...but they have flood insurance, and their cars were ok. We were just absorbing this, relieved that they were safe, when I heard the national news.
I was raised in Virginia, and I'm part of an academic community in Kentucky. This morning, long before we knew how many deaths took place, I was hurting for Virginia Tech. I've spent a lot of time on university campuses, as a student, as an employee, and as a teacher. I'm married to a professor. We value universities as these places full of lively, safe, debate. I live a half mile from our local university; I walk my husband to work at his office every day. On Saturday, I was with my dogs on campus. (We're part of the U in the Step It Up sign) I looked forward to posting this image, even though Sally is just a blur, my face is obscured, and only Harry sits up at attention, ready to have his photo taken. We have an identity as participants, mentors, friends-- a part of university life.
Today, the "ivory tower" was no safe haven. My heart goes out to all of those at Virginia Tech. So many people lost today...We mourn with you. We feel your terrible loss.
*Hokie is the name of the Virginia Tech mascot, it's a common reference in Virginia.

5 Comments:

Blogger annmarie said...

Oh, my goodness, Joanne. I just heard about this reading your blog. So, so sad.

April 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Oh, Joanne. Tragedies both personal and national. I am so sorry.

April 17, 2007 at 3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I just get so angry at the hopelessness that abounds in our society. I hope that your aunt and uncle find a dry haven and that you can find an ivory tower in your spinning.

April 17, 2007 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 21, 2007 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Tonight before bed, I was curious to see if anyone has created any yarns for Hokie Hope day. I G**gled the words "Hokie Hope yarn" and viola... This post appeared in the top 10. This week has been horrible for my VA Tech family and those affected. Thanks for thinking of us.
Bunny hugs,
=:8

April 21, 2007 at 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home