Monday, June 19, 2006

Ommm...ouch

In a fit of self-love, I spent Saturday morning spinning some Cormo wool and doing yoga. (In this, I seem to have much in common with the Yarn Harlot, except, of course, she is much cooler.) The Cormo was delicious to spin, like a very silky smooth gelato. I am spinning it relatively finely so as to stretch out my 4 oz. of roving. The yoga seemed fun, too, except that, well, I hadn't done any in a while and even as I was doing it, I felt sore. I was exercising all by myself, so as not to feel bad around all the women in my town, twice my age, who can touch their tongues to the floor or do one-handed handstands. I'm only sort of kidding here. The Yarn Harlot knows what I mean.

I woke up a little sore on Sunday, but you know, it happens, I was ok with it. I proceeded to wash all the floors in the downstairs of my house. The kitchen floor looked dirty and the wood floors in the dining room, living room, and hall needed a touch up. I'm a lackadaisical housekeeper, at best, but there were dusty paw prints everywhere. So, you know, I felt pretty sore, but I still managed to knit a ton on my sweater jacket, because of that design deadline. I can do it. I know it.

Today, I am too sore. So sore, that I became anxious, stressed and unhappy. Finally, I took a lesson from my dogs...and it wasn't how to do down-dog or even up dog. I took a tylenol (they don't do that, but...) and then I took a little snooze-ola. I shared the bed with Harry until he got hot and moved, and I woke up so calm. Still sore, but not nearly as stressed. So, I'm concluding, it's probably not all this knitting that made my left shoulder, arm and neck sore, right? No, it can't be that! It's the yoga...and the cleaning.
. Caption: Sally (left) and Harry, right, demonstrate two alternate poses for the snooze-ola on the knitting futon in Joanne's office.

5 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Hmmm. There's a school of thought that says if you believe something completely and absolutely, to the very core of your being, it will become true. I find that comforting when I'm driving in fog so dense that I can't see the road ahead. As long as I believe it exists the road continues to roll out of the fog. Not sure it applies to sore arms in this case, especially if you're right-handed.
I find my left arm gets sore when I knit a lot. Lower arm especially, think it's the brachioradialis, but also the brachialis and biceps brachii. It has to do with the angle at which I hold that arm when doing stuff -- keyboarding, knitting, talking on the phone. A masseur helped, and was able to show me a couple of massages I could do with my right hand/thumb to rub some life and circulation back into the arm when it's bad. It also helps to consciously hold the arm in a different pose (I don't really need to hold the knitting that close to my eyes) and getting a really good light. Sorry about the length of this, but I thought it might be helpful.

June 20, 2006 at 2:30 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks for the advice, Sarah! I am left handed, and it is my left side that gets sore. I do the massage thing occasionally, or zero balancing, but I find largely that the best answer is to relax, exercise my muscles differently, and to rest them. After the "snooze-ola," I was able to knit 5 or 6 more inches last night, so I guess it worked! I'm still a bit tender today though.

June 20, 2006 at 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harry and Sally - ahhhh, now that's MY kind of Yoga! And congrats on the design job. Way to go!

June 20, 2006 at 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your puppies look oh so comfy! i understand the ouchiness of doing yoga after not doing it for awhile and am kind of in that boat too.

June 21, 2006 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger June said...

Hope you are feeling better today! I am definately in your boat! Got back on the treadmill yesterday - after finding out how much I love Chaney's Ice Cream on 31-W!

June 24, 2006 at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home