Friday, May 19, 2006

It's so darn quiet...

Karakul. That's the breed of this lovely sheep photo. Come on, admit it. You really wanted to know, right? What the ewe's really saying is, is anybody reading this? Don't you wonder who stealing the finials off my fence? And how about that agent thing, huh? 'Cause I'm pretty excited about having an agent. That's one step closer to maybe, someday, selling a book! A friend of mine here used all these clever little signs to ask folks to leave comments on her blog when she felt things were too quiet...neat idea.

It is very quiet on the homefront. The mad butterfly scientist husband is off doing research in Florida until next week. College graduation was last weekend--congratulations to Brian and Cory! and our entire town is in recovery mode. Professors don't answer their emails, the university parking lots look empty. I know that I'll get used to this quiet--summer classes are always lighter--and in August, we'll be shocked, saying, "Now where did all these students (noise, cars, trash, etc.)come from?"

To keep myself entertained this week without any mental strain whatsoever, I've been listening to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on my Ipod while knitting up new designs. When I'm not knitting or writing, I'm reading Hamish MacBeth mysteries; the library seems to have an endless supply. I've been eating very well, too--last night it was pasta with peanut sauce and cilantro, and spinach with a sweet soy sesame sauce. The night before? Vietnamese garden rolls, filled with noodles, cabbage, carrots, bits of meat, cilantro, and green onions and mint from the garden.

OK, so I guess what I'm saying is, I'm keeping myself occupied all by my lonesome but I could do with a little input from the outside world. Feel free to drop by...oh, and Caroline, I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. I just loved this message. Subtlety. It's a lost art. giggle.


9 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

That's one mighty purty sheep.

May 19, 2006 at 3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you spin up all of that fleece yet?

May 19, 2006 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Hey joanne:-) I'm out here too. I know how it is finding stuff to do when hubby is away. That's why I taught myself to knit. I bought the Vogue how to book and went for it. I'm glad I did!!!

May 19, 2006 at 6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I enjoy reading your blog. I'm trying to learn to spin (on a spindle for now). I learned to knit when I was about 10 and to crochet when about 13. I like making stuff from scratch too. :) Well, just thought I'd introduce myself and come out of lurkdom. I don't have a blog yet though. Have a great day!

May 20, 2006 at 4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks for posting the picture of that sheep. I had just heard of that name the other day and wondered what in the world it was, but was too busy to look it up at the time.
:)

May 20, 2006 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Wow! So much attention! I'm just glowing with all the company. Thank you. I really appreciate you. Now, to answer questions...Kerry, no. Haven't spun all of anything except the 4 oz of hemp/merino blend. It's now 2 ply, about 250 yards, perhaps for thick socks or something.

Elizabeth, my mom taught me to knit to keep me busy when I was little, beginning maybe at 4 or 5. Even so, it is not like talking to my husband!

Holly, so nice to meet you! Thanks for introducing yourself. Karakul sheep make lovely wool for rugs, I hear. I've never actually spun any, but this sheep just took my breath away. She's so purty...just like Jen says. Ahh, it is so nice to have some conversation other than barking. Thanks. :)

May 20, 2006 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Well I'm glad I've inspired someone about something...

May 22, 2006 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

I spun? made yarn? for the very first time about three weeks ago, at a re-enactor's fair (supplies stuff to people like members of SCA, but in the UK). Neat feeling, turning a wisp of wool into useable yarn... well, it was. Not *beautiful*, but useable. I just don't think I can find any more slivers of spare time for another hobby :-(
Not what I intended to say, really. Interesting that my fingers can misbehave in exactly the same way as my mouth. I guess that means the brain is responsible! I had intended to say hullo and compliment you on the knitted insect patterns. Must train brain...

May 23, 2006 at 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to can too, Joanne. There's just something about looking over all those finished jars at the end of the day - seeing the tangible result of all that work (unlike my 'invisible' computer productivity at work). Very satisfying.

We used to have a large garden when we had acreage and I canned a lot of fruit and vegetables. These days I pretty much just do jams for my family (and an ever expanding circle of friends who love homemade jam). It's practically impossible to go back to store jams at this point.

May 27, 2006 at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home