Tuesday, May 23, 2006

strawberry rose

I canned 9 and a half cups of strawberry jam on Sunday. The locally grown, organic strawberries came from my favorite farmers, Sarah and Todd of Sylvanus Farm. It was my first round of preserves for the season, and I was a little rusty, but all went well. Now I have blackberry, raspberry, blueberry jams and several kinds of chutney and salsa to go! I like canning, it is such a good feeling to produce healthy, safe, inexpensive food to eat later. Plus, it tastes really good and keeps me busy when the husband is away doing research. (I can't wait for him to come home tonight! It's been a lonely few days.)

These are my baby lettuces. They are nowhere near as big as the heads of lettuce that Sylvanus Farm provided us with the last few weeks, but I'm hoping that my "late" garden will offer us lettuce when it gets warmer and Sylvanus Farm no longer is producing lettuce.
The sun is finally out again, our climbing roses loved the damp cool spell, and all is sunny and sweet.

4 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

MMmmmmm, jam, that makes me hungry for breakfast! Yummy!

May 23, 2006 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

It's a bit early for strawberries with any flavour here :-)

Speaking of spinning, thanks for suggesting that as something to do on a long flight. If you've time... is it difficult to use a drop spindle while seated? (I suppose I should Just Do It.) What sort of spindle would you suggest for learning on/with? I've been a bit confused by the variety of weights, amongst other things - I assume the weight of the spindle influences the thickness of the yarn?

May 23, 2006 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! You have me drooooooling here! :) I'd love to learn to can stuff! And I can't wait to have a nice big garden someday....Right now I have a few pepper and tomato plants in pots. That's the extent of my garden right now. LOL

May 23, 2006 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Looks yummy:-) I only like homemade stawberry jam, ditto for apple pie. The stuff in the store is just not the same! Way too sweet!

May 24, 2006 at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home