Thursday, July 19, 2007

the secret sheep pajamas

I'm not doing a spin-along, as I'm a "nonconformist" and not a joiner, right? (whatever, the last post's quiz was fun fluff!) Lately I've been spinning a lot. Spinning, especially if it's a well-processed fiber, spun long draw, can be meditative and therapeutic. It calms me down while I worry...now that I'm having a break from book travel, I can worry at home! When I'm doing this kind of spinning, I don't need bright colors or fancy textures. In the last week, I've averaged a bobbin every day or two. Each ball here is probably about 3-4 oz of wool...destined to be a 2 ply worsted weight. This is a fine, mixed breed fleece I got last fall at the Tennessee State Fleece Auction. I love this fleece and I'll be sad to see it finished, but some day, it will make a lovely sweater. I'm designing a sweater for the book out of some luscious organic cotton and I can imagine this wool would be an interesting substitute if I were to make this again someday.

The professor is finally home again...after nearly 3 weeks of travel to conferences. His plane landed after midnight and he didn't arrive back home until 2:30 AM. Of course, the dogs and I got up and say hello. We were tired the next day. So tired that when I got up from the office futon, sample knitting in hand, I discovered this when I came back. My dogs suffer so, don't they?


The professor celebrated his return by offering me this gift...he bought it while at his conference. Doesn't everyone need another piece of clothing with sheep on it? I do, for sure. Almost all my pajamas have sheep on them. The other pairs? dogs. I can't help myself. I suspect this trend towards matching animal pajamas is encouraged by the professor because of my old habit. Before we were married, I slept in horribly clashing bright t-shirts, shorts, or sweatclothes. I thought it was fun--and the thing is-- No One Can See You in the dark!! Also, when you live by yourself? And you go to sleep? You can't see either! 'cause your eyes are CLOSED! Purple, RED and Pink? Neon Green, anyone? I think the professor sleeps with his eyes open, because shortly after we were married, he started buying me matching sheep pajamas. hint hint.

Last night we went out to a new town attraction, Anna's Greek Restaurant. It tasted just like being in Greece, except it was air conditioned! The professor knows I'm beginning to long for a vacation...and we can't take one while I'm working on the book. (you know, we lack time and money at the moment.) So instead, we had fabulous Greek food and talked about our trip to Crete last year. Remember Crete? (click there and you can replay an amazing vacation. hmmm.)

Other excitements include buying our very own ram lamb. That is, after he's visited the butcher for a while. We're buying a friend's lamb and stocking the freezer. It's hard to buy lamb at the grocery store here, and this is a local animal. It's our chance to eat meat sustainably. I just hope I don't get any upsetting nightmares while wearing the sheep pajamas... or while making kofte.

8 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

You have been a spinnin demon haven't you? Wow. Of course, you don't inch your way like I do. :) Harry & Sally are so sweet. Sooooo sweet. The only one around my house that cares what I wear to bed is my daughter, why I don't know. She buys me nice pajamas and then fusses if I stain them. I'm messy, can't help it.

July 19, 2007 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

My goodness, that's an impressive amount of spinning!

Your post reminds me that we need to locate a new source for our fall freezer lamb. I love lamb!

July 19, 2007 at 9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have to find those mini vacations while you can! i am having a mini vacation today, i took the day off work and while there are things that i need to do at home, all i really want to do is write, spin and knit.

July 20, 2007 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

great spinning & I recognise the doggy behaviour! You just KNOW that you were invading their territory! Ours is the cosy kitchen arm chair!

July 20, 2007 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Beautiful spinning! I can see how your dogs are worn out from all the greeting - Missy gets the say way. They DO have a tough job (smile).

July 22, 2007 at 2:18 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

yes, your poor poor doggies ;-)
i also LOVE greek food, and am happy we found a great cheap restaurant not too far from fort lauderdale :-)

July 22, 2007 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Welcome back to the prof! Your dinner sounds lovely and well desrved!

July 23, 2007 at 6:34 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Mmmm. Spinning. And lamb. Local lamb, at that. I used to wear strange nightclothes too, interesting the speed with which that changed after I was married. Lucky, happy dogs: Tangle was never allowed on the couch!

July 23, 2007 at 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home