Monday, April 21, 2008

sorry for the delay

Apologies for the delay in my usual Sunday posting...but it's a holiday! We were away, visiting family and celebrating the beginning of Passover. This year, my brother and his lovely wife hosted our whole family at their house. The food was great. Gefilte fish, chicken soup with matzoh balls, brisket, veggies, and a stellar walnut chocolate cake. The seder part (seder means order, and is shorthand for the "order" of telling the Exodus from Egypt story, doing the prayers and blessings of the holiday) was very short, largely because of our newest family member. He's two. Speed was paramount.

We also took turns playing and handing over our (real) keys to the nephew, as he showed us his commuting skills. In the DC suburbs, there's a lot of car seat time. He can stop on a dime, and even back up slowly--really!


My travel time on Friday and Sunday was complex and varied. Car, plane, train, metro car, car=arrive at my parents' house. Visit. Car, plane, car=arrive home. During my journeys, I worked on the Molly Baby Sock pattern...it needed some tech editing, revision, and updating. (turns out there were mistakes in the MagKnits version!) Here's one of the sample socks...it's mostly knit on two straight needles, and that's what's so interesting about it. It's still a very cute sock, don't you think? I am hoping to get it back online soon.

PS: An Rss feed note. On my browser, there is this neat orange and white square symbol that indicates that one can subscribe to this blog. Is that the case for you? If not, can you tell me how I'd set up an rss feed? One of my readers requested this, and I aim to please!

PPS: I have consulted on this! Here's what I've found. In both the Explorer and Safari Browsers, on both a Mac and a PC there is an RSS feed available. In the Explorer browser, if you are logged into "blogger/google", you can see an orange and white square in the top right corner. That shows you the feeds available.

On Safari, it is on the right side of the address at the top of the browser.

Another friend of mine has subscribed to my blog via bloglines, and tells me I already have a feed. I hope this is helpful! I'm not trying to be difficult regarding feedburner or any other system, but I find I already do an enormous amount of interfacing with software, and I'm trying to keep life simple, if possible.

6 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable holiday with your family.

...and from your previous post...Your veg. are way in advance of ours, infact its been so chill here I think they might be growing downwards!

April 21, 2008 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger subliminalrabbit said...

hi there!

i use feedburner - works just fine with blogger - to publish an RSS feed. http://www.feedburner.com

then you go to your settings tab in blogger, 'site feed', and add the post feed redirect url (you'll get this from feedburner. feedburner will also give you the little orange/white icon linky stuff to put on your blog!).

hope this helps!

April 21, 2008 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger subliminalrabbit said...

hmm, i don't see a feed statement on the upper right of your blog. i read your blog via google reader so you're publishing some sort of feed automatically, but not necessary rss. and if you want people to be able to subscribe with the click of a button from your site, you'll need to figure out where the feed is coming from and if it's all types of feeds (there are different feed 'languages', i guess - Atom is one of them, RSS another).

try this link for more info:

http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help-howdoi/browse_thread/thread/cc564a98a16e96b4

(if you look at the right-hand side of my blog, and scroll down a bit, you'll see a section called 'talk to me' where you can sign up for email updates or subscribe to my feed. i still recommend feedburner - i've had no issues - or spam!)

April 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I recommend Feedburner, too, which is now owned by Google, which also owns Blogger, so you can assume the interface is slick.

Subliminal, I think Joanne is referring to the RSS symbol in the address bar in your browser.

April 21, 2008 at 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. Happy Passover!

April 21, 2008 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger ovenman said...

If you can't see a link to automatically subscribe to this feed, you can access it directly through the following link.

http://joanneseiff.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

If you use an RSS reader/aggregator and need to enter the location of the feed, use the link posted above.

April 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home