Sunday, May 25, 2008

Party like it's...

Lag B'omer!! In short, this is a minor -and happy- holiday. Another site here explains it...it's traditional to have parties, picnics, make merry, and...get one's haircut.

Oddly, my Jewish internal clock also indicated it was time, and somehow I arranged appropriate events to revolve around the 22nd and 23rd. Although we have a calendar with all the holidays on it at home, it is sometimes hard to remember to look when there's no one to celebrate with. However, here's how it went for me!

On Wednesday, I went out antiquing with a new friend who also revels in the fiber arts. I found these:
hint. These are not complicated spaghetti measuring implements.
I was so excited to find antique sock blockers...for displaying or drying handknit socks. They are a women's size small, perhaps a wee bit small for my socks, but definitely good enough...and, they were $10 a piece! (a real deal) We picnicked outside with some ice cream and enjoyed a sunny day.

On Thursday, I made a big change. I researched and found this program that accepts donated hair for wigs that go to women who are battling cancer. It seemed reputable (there have been some concerns about these programs--ideally the hair shouldn't just be sold to make a profit...) and this charitable program was willing to take 8" of hair or more. I went to a hairdresser and gave a little more than 8" to the cause. My hair is very heavy and thick. Apparently some people do this with just one pony tail that is snipped off. The hairdresser did it with SIX ponytails. Although the USA is diverse in ethnic variety, our area is not. I was clearly "different" to this salon in the hair department. That is, I have a lot of it, and I am definitely not towheaded. Nor do I want to dye it...again, definitely an outlier!
(I'm showing this strange photo because I'm proud of this--and I hope it doesn't gross you out. After all, this too is a kind of fiber!)

On Friday, I left my house at 6 AM, drove over 100 miles, and taught at the TN Fiber Festival. It was a great time!! (this was my party and picnic, I'm telling you!) I saw several friends from the Tennessee spinning community, and my class was a blast. It was small, only 5 or so students, but every single one of them dove into learning with enthusiasm. We went from skirting a raw fleece to teasing, spinning from the lock, flick carding, hand carding and combing all in one 3 hour period. My students learned a lot. I learned something too...a 100 mile drive plus 3 hour hands-on class, standing on concrete, totally wipes me out. I was toast afterwards! So tired that I didn't snap one photo! However, I took time to visit the vendors and my friends. Then I journeyed to Nashville for an appointment (on the way home). I wasn't back at home until 7 pm at night. 230 miles and nearly 5 hours of driving later? I remember why Memorial Day weekend is a bad bad time to be in a car. Talk about traffic. Oy. Dang. Gosh I was glad to be home.

To end, I must direct you to two hilarious videos for your further haircut enjoyment. It's Lag B'omer! Get a haircut. Be sure to watch both of them...the hip traditional young Jewish guy's video AND the second one? Adam Sandler's too funny to miss.

PSST: That new friend? She's an Episcopal priest in her day job. I mentioned how great she was to one of her parishioners. The parishioner got the wrong idea and invited me to sit with her at church. (No, I haven't done gone and "seen the light." I am not losing my religious identity...nor am I the least bit tempted by it, despite feeling very isolated here sometimes.) Instead? I recognize that members of the clergy are indeed people. This one's just a lovely person; we have lots in common.

Hope you have a good laugh over the videos! What do you think of the new 'do? (No worries, even if it isn't a favorite, my hair grows really fast!)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the haircut! Very flattering. Congratulations on sharing with those in need.

Kate

May 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day all around. I love the haircut, too, and all the more for the good purpose(s) the cut served.

May 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

The haircut looks terrific, perfect for spring/summer...and it is such a good thing to donate what you have been blessed with...to those who need it...

May 25, 2008 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Taueret said...

looks great!

May 25, 2008 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

Nice 'do! Enough to make one feel lightheaded. . . .

May 25, 2008 at 11:13 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Chic 'do'! Just right for some summer heat!

May 26, 2008 at 4:56 AM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

Cute cut! Very flattering. What a great cause!

May 26, 2008 at 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! When they first put me on chemo, I thought, well, cool, now I'll finally get to have thick blonde hair, right to order. Didn't happen. Kept my own, though thinned a bit, perhaps. But I so much love it when people give so personally and with so much meaning. Wow.

May 26, 2008 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

Love it! It really suits you. Are you used to it yet? Do you think you'll keep it or let it all grow out.

I used to cut my hair off periodically but settled for long in the end - it's less work in the mornings!

May 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

I love the hair cut!

May 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger June said...

Love the new look, Joanne!

June 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

definitely cooler for summer! i am (im)patiently waiting for mine to get long enough to donate. i am going to check out the place you sent yours.

June 3, 2008 at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home