Wednesday, May 21, 2008

spring has sprung

Before I go on to the main flowery event, I should mention that it was fun to have KY in the news regarding the presidential primary season. We'd assumed our primary would be so late that no one would notice. More than one person said, "What! A candidate came to Bowling Green?" That was a nice surprise...I've gone from living right near the nation's capital as a kid to a place that, well, few people even visit. While folks say our country has grown homogenized (and it has, to a degree), the differences in the politics--and what the issues are--are immense when one drives the 750 miles over here from D.C. It's been an interesting experience to try out both. (I do miss an intelligent political conversation,a big city newspaper, and knowing how everyone votes in Congress!)

I've been spinning a lot and did some "beauty shots" of some of the yarn. I'll be demonstrating spinning and perhaps selling some handspun at a local Art in the Park event on May 31st. (Locals: Fountain Square Park, 1-7 pm, check it out!) I experimented here with corkscrew yarn as described in Intertwined. The roving is from Aurelia Wool. It's NZ Halfbred wool, and has some glitz in it. I spun it into a single, then plied and corkscrewed to my heart's content on a commercial wool laceweight cone yarn. I imagine this will make someone a heck of a fun scarf.

Spring has been long, cool, and lovely. Lots of flowers, rain showers, sunny cool weather--and terrible allergies for the professor. He's been miserable. I've relished the aroma of honeysuckle and roses, and my poor guy has to rush inside because of the hard wood pollens. Yuck.

Here's a picture of our back gate and a close up of the roses. It looks like we have bouquets on the bushes right now!





We're also enjoying our annual blooming of the Missouri primrose. Long ago, someone planted a few, and each year, they reseed in more profusion. I love them! I particularly chose this photo with the old pickup truck...with the picket fence and the flowers, it seems a timeless photo. In a practical sense, we're being treated to a lot of construction noise as our neighbors have their old home renovated. (I'm happy for them, it's just loud.) What's louder are the construction projects on the city streets and the other neighbors' loud music. Sometimes I wish we could all experience spring a bit more quietly on our own--but this too is part of spring's fever!

The wool supplies are piling up for my class at the TN Fiber Festival on Friday. Last I heard, I've only got 4 students, so if you're interested, do sign up! I'd love to have you in my class. :)

Most of my knitting projects right now are top secret, but psst! Check out Elsa Sheep and Wool Company's worsted-spun sportweight yarn for delicious socks! (6.5 sts to the inch on a #1. Dye the yarn to suit your sock desires...whew, it's sumptuous stuff!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at all that green... And it just falls out of the sky, too, doesn't it? Gorgeous photos, Joanne!

And yeah, it just isn't the same without the Washington Post around, even over here.

May 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

that back gate is lovely!

May 22, 2008 at 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about never feeling involved in a presidential race. Same thing happened in Kansas for Super Tuesday.It's kind of nice for a change, IMO.

May 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Beautiful garden photos! I can almost smell the honeysuckle and roses!

Love that yarn! Looks like it was lots of fun to spin!

May 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home