Wednesday, April 30, 2008

cold snap

We've been all snuggled up on warm blankies with our tails tucked under our chins here. The temperatures dropped from 80 degrees F to about 35! The heat got turned on again because suddenly, we feel cold from that damp spring chill.

Luckily, my constant companions have been working hard to warm me up. Never discount the warming powers of a furry dog that is trying to get into your lap!

I also finally finished Thermal. I started this back in mid-September, and something about the pattern (4 row repeat, but textured enough to make movie knitting disconcerting) and the needle size --US#3--very slow. Basically, knitting this was like making a very big sock with a pattern in it. I loved the yarn I chose, Merino Bambino, and I like the sweater style very much. I did sort of lose enthusiasm for the whole thing halfway through, as I had so many other knitting projects going on simultaneously. Anyway, here's Harry and me, modelling the sweater, on a day that is still cool enough to need a one! I think a darker color would have been more slimming and the arms are just a bit longer than maybe I needed (although that was hard to judge) but I'm not undertaking another one of these any time soon, so this will have to do! (Please forgive the dorky expression, it was hard to model a sweater before breakfast, and that's when the professor was available!)

The professor also grabbed my camera the other day to show what I look like sometimes as I am emailing people back or writing. Note Harry and his bone are right along side, Sally is keeping watch, AND I'm wearing a great oversized v-neck aran cardigan my mom made for me.

The professor himself is very harried. It is the end of the semester and he's had a particularly rough one. He's just about narrowed things down to eating, sleeping,and working. I'm very much looking forward to the end of the term in a couple of weeks! The funniest part about this is how oblivious he is to what's happening around him though. Last night he was working in the living room as I watched a fascinating movie, Stranger Than Fiction and knit. (He also managed to watch portions of it, because I heard him laugh.) Now, the piece I'm knitting is very very long, perhaps a yard long, and already 10 inches across, and yet when I said, "I'm designing a curtain," the professor said, "What!! You're knitting a curtain?!"

Yup, it was almost as surprising as that electric fence wire knitting I did, I guess? ...but don't you think he might have noticed this enormous thing in his living room and said, "Gee, what you working on there?!" Ahh, the absent minded professor. Perhaps it's too cold here for his brain. He maybe needs a dog warmer or two.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the new sweater, and the cozy, happy shot with the dogs. It warms my heart!

April 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I loved that movie! First (and probably last) Will Ferrell movie I've seen. I was excited to see that you're teaching a spinning class in Dickson, then realized that I can't go there this year - have to go to a wedding.

April 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Great sweater! You are adorable as usual! :)

April 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

congratulations on finishing the Thermal! It looks wonderfully comfy. :) I also just finished a wool sweater - just in time for warm weather! ;)

April 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger June said...

You are looking rather lovely in these photos, Joanne, and I love the Thermal!

April 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Hey Joanne,

I love you in that photo with the pretty pink sweater. Beautiful!

April 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, your Thermal looks wonderful! I really appreciate the time invested on a #3 knitting project that size - I started a moebius wrap in a sock yarn (Fleece Artist Cashlana) and it's growing so slooowly. But it's growing!

And I know the absent minded professor thing - my husband gets thoroughly lost in work worries and obligations and I know I just need to wait until the tide turns to get his attention.

May 1, 2008 at 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's funny. And hey, do you know Afton? She just finished Thermal, too.

May 1, 2008 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Good timing for finishing a sweater called 'thermal'! Its pretty 'nose under tail' temperature here tonight! It cold and clear, following thunderstorms & a dash of spring sunshine this afternoon. All this is making Moss moult ven more than usual. Shame I can't spin (yet!)

May 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

thermal turned out lovely!

May 2, 2008 at 12:58 AM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

I LOVE the new thermal! It's very becoming and a lovely color. And just in time for your cold snap.

May 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

The sweater is so cute! And you look very happy with your doggies in that picture. hee. Send good vibes to the professor from me!

May 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater fits you well! I was going to admire how the shade of pink looks on you, but you said it wasn't pink....

May 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

I love the sweater and went to the link and downloaded it! And you look lovely in it. And the grenn will be even better! But oh my. Size 2.5 or 3US needles?? Was it difficult to knit on such small needles, or just slow?

I completely understand the absent minded professor bit. Mine retreats the last two weeks of the semester too!

November 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home