Friday, August 10, 2007

cool front?

If you sense a general malaise over here, it might be the weather. I agree with all your comments, of course,but didn't want to be snarky in another post, it's not flattering or right, as my best friend's mother (from Alabama) would say, to blow out someone else's candle just to make yours a little brighter!

In this weather, I would blow out everyone's candles right away, dang it, but my second mother is right, ethically speaking. We're having a cool front today. The heat index is only supposed to be 101-106. We're also in the middle of a pretty severe drought. I can't remember the last time it rained, and we're more than a foot behind the average rainfall. The bluegrass state has some dead grass about now which- as you might guess- is unusual. We're on watering restrictions.

On the food front, we've subsisted on cold salads and other low effort cuisine all week but I'm taking advantage of the "cool front" to roast a chicken or two, bake a cake, and cook a lot of veggies. Then we'll eat cold leftovers again.

In knitting news, the tank top is cruising along--it's the aegean blue thing at the top of this photo and I've got a pair of socks on the needles as well. This is the Barefoot Spinner's superwash yarn (great stuff, but I don't think she has a website) and Priscilla Gibson-Robert's sock pattern, with a couple personal adjustments.

Spinning is in time-out. I washed all the brown yarn, and the professor helped me count up the yardage. 782 yards. I'd wanted something in the range of 850 to knit the sweater I had in mind. I've finished spinning the fleece... There ain't no more. I have some yarn in which I plied this brown with Chasing Rainbows hand-dyed fiber in the Mendocino Hedges colorway. It was, until recently, on etsy. I don't know how it would fit with the pattern I was hoping to do. I am thinking about it and letting the yarn marinate until I forgive it for being 70 yards short!

I'm on a steady diet of anti-histamines, asthma medicine and strong coffee (folk remedy to increase oxygen absorption which works for me...) I've been very productive on the work front. It's been a great week for the book! All I do is write, read and knit. I even received the first finished pattern from a designer via email!

Sally is the only person (well, you know what I mean) around here who is fine with the heat. She is so cool as to make the rest of us envious, continuing to chase squirrels, bark her head off, and show annoying amounts of energy. Sometimes I wonder how I ended up being lucky enough to adopt such a cool girl dog...especially like now, when I realize I've got stains on my shirt. I thought it was clean. Oops.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I hadn't seen the forcast, now I'm really feeling whopped. Glad to hear you are getting a lot of good stuff done. What time are we eating? Is this some of the wool I got from you? I drink so much coffee, no wonder I feel light headed. Too much oxygen. :)

August 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Weird weather continues! Scottish weather has been mixed but never hot, today back in Yorkshire is warmish -I am wearing shorts but if I had been used to your weather I would be in sweaters and woolly socks! I wonder what this means for winter? Good that you are coping with the extremes in the weather & that its not stopping knitting or writing!

August 11, 2007 at 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's plenty hot here, too. Even with a/c, I can imagine sitting and knitting with a pile of wool on my lap. Boy, are you dedicated!

August 12, 2007 at 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. I need to proofread before I click publish. Make that I can't imagine...

August 12, 2007 at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home