Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ready for a Slow Smile?

Well, those of us who believe in slow, not just Slow Food (although that's wonderful, too) but slow approaches to creating things of meaning and beauty for our homes and lives....have finally been noticed by The New York Times. Of course, the irony is in the article. One of the "slow design" groups was so successful that they had to outsource their production--to India.

This was all pointed out to me indirectly by my kind sister-in-law, who forwarded me this Apartment Therapy article. It's worth looking at, lots of lovely, obvious decorating tips for those of us who can study a photo and make it into our own ....thing. The funniest part of this?

The Wool Pouf

Yes, it is now very chic to know the sheep who contributed its wool to your work personally, and to knit with broomsticks, all for the pitiful sum of $800 to $1600 a pouf. Finally, I am in with the hip crowd. Who knew? It turns out I could have been chic too, if I'd had good PR about my personal relationship with my friends' sheep. Now, where do I sign up to produce these things...slowly? My house is full of roving...I'm ready!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol! I do have fleeces from a sheep and a mohair kid whose pictures I have or have seen at a show. And I like that.

January 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i made the blog. cool. thanks! i also get a kick out of the word "pouf."

January 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Hee hee! Great post Joanne! You have me smiling ;-)

(esp. at the irony of having to outsource!)

...on my way to tell all the sheep (that I know personally) about the article...I'm sure they will approve.

February 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I'm pretty sure that Angela and I saw the designer's poufs featured in the article in a very trendy (and high priced!) Portland furniture store.

I think I'm willing to personally meet each sheep and be a penpal to the shepherd for $1600 per pouf!
:-)

February 6, 2008 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

the photograph of the designer manipulating those gigantic knitting needles is something else!

February 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home